We strive for excellence in everything we do. Our lawyers have a history of achieving success for their clients.
Sam has a wealth of legal knowledge and experience which, combined with her unique insight into the corporate world in both small and big business, enables her to provide clients with someone who understands how their business works and is able to resolve matters effectively and efficiently.
Before joining a large regional firm in which Sam quickly elevated through the ranks to Partner, Sam spent 15 years’ experience in the building and construction, mining and civil engineering industries. That, combined with her innate ability to seize upon legal issues and get to the heart of a matter quickly, make Sam a formidable opponent.
Sam brings a commercial approach to her practice, aimed at giving her clients sound professional advice focused on the need for a timely resolution. Sam’s experience is in all aspects of commercial litigation, with a focus on contractual disputes, debt recovery, building and construction, equity, insolvency, planning and environment, land disputes, consumer law, defamation, estate litigation, subcontractor’s charges and Building Industry Fairness (Security of Payments) Act matters.
Sam harbours a specific interest in building and construction industry disputes. She has instructed in the High Court in relation to a matter under the Building and Construction Industry Payments Act 2004, in which the application of that legislation to mining leases was considered. Her client was successful in opposing the application for leave to appeal.
- Chair of the Queensland Law Society Construction and Infrastructure Committee
- Member of the Queensland Law Society Litigation Rules Committee
- Member of the James Cook University External Advisory Committee
- Member of the Selectability Governance Committee
- Treasurer of Angel-Paws Inc
- Member Rotary International
- Co-Host of the podcast HELD TO ACCOUNT
- Sessional lecturer James Cook University
- Past President of the North Queensland Law Association
- Past President of the Townsville District Law Association
- Former Deputy Chair Construction & Infrastructure Law Committee Law Council of Australia
Melanie joined Cohen Legal in early 2019, practising in the area of employment and commercial law. Melanie assists clients in moving their businesses and their lives forward in a positive direction.
As a recently admitted legal practitioner, Sarah has hit the ground running while working closely with Cohen Legal’s principal Sam Cohen on commercial litigation matters.
Since joining the team, Sarah has eagerly built her skillset and continues to do so.
Having previously volunteered her time in community legal services, Sarah is motivated to continue to assist clients with their business ventures and resolve litigation issues as efficiently as possible.